Tunnel effect applicable on macroscopic objects wehen velocity approaches c

• Tunnel effect applicable on macroscopic objects wehen velocity approaches c

Posted by Jan Olof on October 22, 2023 at 9:17 pm

Tunnel effect applicable on macroscopic objects wehen velocity approaches c

Posted by Jan Olof on October 22, 2023 at 9:13 pm

I found an interesting feature of Special Relativity Theory (SRT) and Quantum Mechanics (QM), when they “meet”. According to the SRT, the maximum possible velocity is c, the speed of light. According to the SRT, an object becomes infinitesimally small as its velocity approaches c, seen from the observer’s reference system K (i.e. on earth). However, if an object becomes very small, it may tunnel across a potential barrier, the so-called tunnel effect.

According to the SRT, as the velocity of an object approaches c, the energy approaches infinity and hence, it has been expected so far that it is impossible to achieve any higher velocity.

But if the object becomes increasingly small, it may jump over the state, in which the energy becomes infinite. Hence, provided that velocities higher than c are physically possible, the jump may occur.

Please see my paper in 2016 PR “Explanation of How the Speed of Light May be Exceeded without Violating the Requirement of Infinite Energy”, Proceedings of the CNPS, College Park, MD, USA, 2016,

http://www.naturalphilosophy.org//pdf//abstracts/abstracts_paperlink_7399.pdf

1 Member · 0 Replies

Jan Olof replied 1 month, 4 weeks ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Jerry

Organizer
    January 3, 2024 at 1:28 am

Hi Jan.

What I’ve mostly heard is that when an object approaches the velocity of light, it is its length that allegedly shortens. That the object doesn’t get smaller, it gets thinner. This was FitzGerald’s idea, and its sole purpose was to show why the MMX failed to detect the aether. Also, according to various seemingly reliable sources, while the length of an object decreases, the mass of the object is said to increase. And strangely enough, Lorentz’s idea of mass increase was allegedly mathematically based upon FitzGerald’s idea. Of course, Einstein incorporated these two ideas into his Special Relativity, maybe since they were already accepted, even though, at the time, Einstein didn’t even believe in the aether, or at least thought its existence was irrelevant, superflous, and undetectable. Maybe over a decade later, it is said that Einstein reclaimed the aether, saying it was necessary. To me, it always seemed similar to the space-time continuum. 🙂

• This reply was modified 3 months, 4 weeks ago by  Jerry.
  • Jan Olof

March 4, 2024 at 9:18 pm

Hi!

Sorry for replying that late. In fact, the E-mail from the CNPS notifying your message was stored in the Junk Box, not in the Inbox; therefore I missed it.

Anyhow, let me reply now!

I find your answer both interesting and informative.

I think that the decrease of the thickness of an object approaching velocity c, is a well-proved mathematical consequence of the basics of the Special Relativity Theory (SRT). As far as I have been studying the basics of the SRT, also the increase of the mass of the object takes place, as the velocity increase. How Einstein arrived at these points is of less relevance.

What I discovered, when simultaneously studying the SRT and Quantum Theory , was the very possibility for an object to jump the infinite energy peak.

A subsequent question to be raised is, whether it is physically possible to achieve a velocity greater than c.

If for a moment making the Gedankenexperiment that it might exist physics, where velocities larger that c exist, the jump would seem agreeable.

On the other side, why is then light moving with the velocity c?

Sincerely yours,

J.O. Jonson