Is there actually a maximum possible velocity?

• Creator
    Discussion

Jerry
    Participant

If so, why is it necessary? What of how charged particles have been accelerated in supercolliders, to almost reach the velocity of light, relative to the “lab frame” of the earth? And what of when even two of them travel in opposite directions, where the particles dash past each other? Why wouldn’t their combined velocities add up to almost double c?

• Is there actually a maximum possible velocity?

Jerry updated 3 months, 1 week ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • Jan Olof

March 24, 2022 at 10:19 pm

Dear colleague:

I do not have the knowledge or insights that would make me able to judge in the question. However, I encountered a paper (please see the reference list in my paper), in which the authors proposed what the Lorentz Transformation would look like, provided there were to exist velocities exceeding the velocity of light, c. I wrote a short article on that theme, indicating how it would be possible to explain a jump over c. Please see my CNPS contribution http://www.naturalphilosophy.org//pdf//abstracts/abstracts_paperlink_7399.pdf

https://www.naturalphilosophy.org/site/member/?memberid=304&subpage=abstracts

With best regards,

Jan Olof Jonson

CNPS member

• Jerry

Organizer
      March 25, 2022 at 8:10 pm

Hi Jan Olof. Thanks for the response!

There was written on one of the first links, “They focus on describing how the Lorentz transformation might be applicable for particles exhibiting velocities greater than the speed of light c.”

If this is so, that the Lorentz Transformation doesn’t apply to objects below the velocity of light, wouldn’t the velocity of an object that is above c (linearly), turn out to completely “match up”, or equal in velocity, to another object that actually is lower than c? How to distinguish between one and the other? That is, if one is “linearly” a given velocity, while the other has been “tweaked” by the Lorentz Transformation?

Also, a crucial question is, “what is the velocity of either one relative to”? What does “velocity” even mean unless it travels or exists within a direct reference to another object or frame to compare it to?

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now
X