The eclipse of April the 8th

• The eclipse of April the 8th

Posted by Jerry on April 3, 2024 at 7:58 pm

Hi everyone!

I hear that there is a solar eclipse on April the 8th. There is something I heard of a few years ago that I’m quite fascinated with. It is said that when there is a solar eclipse, a pendulum underneath experiences an unusual effect, where it “swings all about wildly”. This effect of the “shaky” pendulum is called the “Allais effect”. I did some research online last year, and it seemed there wasn’t much known of this effect. Some were skeptical if such an effect occurs at all. I’ve had some thoughts and questions of how to test this unusual phenomenon, and a few ideas with which to possibly perform an experiment.

How would a pendulum act through an eclipse if it were set up underneath a lead square? (I say specifically “lead” since some waves within the electromagnetic spectrum have trouble going through lead.) Would this stop or slow down the wild “swings” of the pendulum? Could you tell if whatever causes the “shaky” effect emanates directly and straightforwardly from the eclipse in the sky, or is it possibly “all around” and maybe detectable (also) through a sideways trajectory, if the lead square covered the pendulum? If so, what might we find out if there was a pendulum that was covered with lead squares at the top, as well as the sides?

Is the interference within the vicinity of a pendulum through an eclipse caused by the absence, or instead a surplus, of gravity? or possibly even electromagnetism? Is more gravity propagated by the presence of the moon combined with the sun, or is it less gravity, since the moon is in the way and much of the sun’s gravity doesn’t reach the earth?

Maybe a heavy lead square or box isn’t even necessary to study the Allais effect. Is it possible that the Allais effect is observable, or even preventable, within a house?

Also, what if it were possible to directly study how this unusual effect works? What if a “network” of small lights or even lasers were put into place, while someone sprays an aerosol liquid to possibly show what’s hidden within the invisible field, to detect the course of electromagnetism or gravity that it “follows” to form patterns, similar to the way metal slivers on a piece of paper with a magnet underneath shows the intricate design that the magnetic field generates?

Where I live I’ll only get to see a partial eclipse, and if I could travel to where there’s a complete eclipse, I don’t know where to find some lead squares and possibly other equipment. Would anyone out there possibly live, or know any scientists or enthusiasts in an area that experiences a complete eclipse who might have interest in testing this effect?

Anyway, have a fine day!

John-Erik replied 3 weeks, 3 days ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Jerry

April 3, 2024 at 8:03 pm

About half a year ago, I wrote a similar post about last year’s eclipse. Also, John-Erik provided some of his ideas and answers about the effect. They’re available here to read if anyone is interested.

Thanks!

• Jerry

April 3, 2024 at 9:20 pm

Update!

Apparently, there’s currently much available documentation online about the Allais effect. Why there wasn’t last year is a mystery to me!

• Jerry

April 5, 2024 at 6:29 pm

When I read about previous experiments of the Allais effect, one thing that I didn’t find is the idea of having a lead square on top, or around the sides. I had the thought of attaching a pendulum to a very secure frame, where the pendulum set in place could stay there, without the slightest swing. I had the idea for three of these. One of them placed with only a secure frame, one with a lead square on top, one of them with a lead square on top, as well as the sides. And with people to monitor each of these to see if there were differences in the possible motions of the pendulums.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by  Jerry.
  • John-Erik

April 7, 2024 at 8:44 pm

Jerry

The eclipse has a small effect on gravity, but this effect converts to a change of the position of matter, since gravity controls position of matter. So, pendulum and near Earth are affected equally and we see no difference.

John-Erik