Volcanic activity around supposed ‘subduction zones’ – alternative explanaiton

• Volcanic activity around supposed ‘subduction zones’ – alternative explanaiton

Posted by Paul on September 24, 2022 at 3:15 pm

Are the volcanic area’s around supposed subduction zones actually hot spots formed by cracks in the crust where natural ‘folding points’ of earths crust happens as a compensation of the curvature of the earth settling after an expansion event? It seems plausible as a natural ‘folding’ point, considering the large delta of crust thickness change at or just past shorelines of continents. I’m wondering if those supposed subduction zone volcanic area’s all, (or mostly), share the occurrence of mountainous ranges, which might also be evidence of upheaval as a result of larger earth crust arcs settling down and therefore pushing up the compressed material at the apex of that arc. I’m also wondering if there’s a correlation of those volcanic regions being more apparent in coastal area’s that show a higher rate of elevation rise as compared to the seafloor margin of those continents? In other words, are there noticably less volcanic regions on coastal area’s the show a much lower rate of elevation rise, or have been measured to reveal a much slower rate of crustal thickness increase the further into the continent you go. If less abrupts thickness rise, it seems likely a ‘bend’ might occur which might explain why there’s less volcanic activity in those area’s. I can’t find good explanations of the specific alternative explanation for those hotspots that aren’t actual spreading centers.

Paul replied 1 year, 7 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.